Replica of aircraft used by Rittmeister Manfred von Richthofen, commander of JG 1 on display at the Luftwaffenmuseum. The first fighter wing of the Luftstreitkraefte was created in June 1917 comprising of Jagdstaffeln 4, 6, 10 and 11. The Flying Circus, as it was referred to by RFC pilots, had a number of colourful aircraft flown by aces. Richthofen flew five different Dr.1s in combat and scored 19 of his 80 victories with the triplane, falling on April 21, 1918.
On display at Luftwaffenmuseum Gatow. When Anthony Fokker persuaded German authorities to fit a synchronised machine gun to his prototype E.1 Eindecker, the Luftstreitkraefte had its first fighter. Feldfliegerabteilungen 62 (Fl Abt 62) commanded by Hptm. Kastner had two pilots, Oswald Boelcke and his student Max Immelmann who were to pioneer air combat. Flying the Eindecker, both aces became household names and received the coveted Pour le Merite for eight victories apiece on 12 Jan. 1916.
96+43 On display at the Luftwaffenmuseum. This Mi-24D carries its UV-32-57 rocket pods, but the GSh-30-2 twin-barrel gun is not displayed. The chin turret on the Mi-24D was replaced with the 30-mm starboard mount, with P designating pushka or cannon. It formerly belonged to the NVAs Kampfhubschraubergeschwader 5 (KHG-5) Adolf von Luetzow, which received 12 of the type at Basephol on Dec. 15, 1989. (mehr von 96+43)